Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Training adventures

I've been wanting to post something about this for a while because I think it's a really fun way to get in a lot of miles on the bike with good support and allows you to go places you can't if you solo.

Here's what we (Tom, George, Terri and I) did this weekend. We all piled into the Race Across Oregon van - with Amelia of course - and drove to BZ Corners WA. We then rode for many miles. Each of us taking turns riding and driving in the van. I logged 75 miles the first day with about 6600 feet of climbing, Tom logged 95 miles and George and Terri each got in 50. The next day was a little shorter but no less challenging in terms of climbing.

The great part about this kind of riding is the social aspect. Good quality time with friends. Then there is the distinct advantage of riding with a support vehicle. For me it means I can push a lot harder than I normally would because I know that I can always get more food/water or even a ride if I completely explode. It also meant that I didn't have to ride the crazy gravel downhill that Tom conquered in the rain!! The man is insane.

I can't wait to do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment